Tuesday 25 August 2009

pyAppTemplate

to get a break from programming openMolar... but to help cement what I had learned about ubuntu packaging, I started another project pyAppTemplate.

The goal of pyAppTemplate is to create a "debianisable" source tree from the get go of a project and... it works! The debs put the app onto the python path, and an executable in /usr/bin an icon into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable and create a menu item.

pyAppTemplate is currently a command-line only app, (I had my first play with the getopt module to parse the command line args passed), but I intend to create a qt, gtk, wx and tkinter frontend for it... just for fun!


I quickly made 2 virgin packages... and deployed them locally.

pyAppTemplate is, of course, gplv3 code, and available at https://launchpad.net/pyAppTemplate.

I'll put a deb into My PPA soon, and create a demo of the tool in use.

No comments: