- IRC is better for casual social banter with like minded people.
- twitter is better and less intrusive for knowing what folks are up to.
- A self-published website is much better for fine control over your web presence, if you can't be bothered with the amount of work, something like blogger provides a very good alternative.
- For video and photo hosting, many better alternatives again.
- Old school Newsgroups and mailing lists are better for the argumentative type of discussion.
So what's so bad about Facebook?I can't avoid it.
It is second rate in all of the above, but makes all this useable by totally non-techie types, some of whom I actually quite like. Worse though, is the "app extensions" where noise from outside (such as my daughter's school feed) which puts non-authored, non referenced, and simply PLAIN WRONG opinions out as if they are hers. I can't stand it when someone is WRONG on the internet and I can't personally flame them. Damn my OCD.